El Salvador: Clinic Day Four (our Fifth Day)

| 1

Hola.  I learned a new sentence in Spanish today, Como se llama?  What is your name?  I used to ask the name of a sweet little girl who grabbed my hand this afternoon.  I wish I had known it at the beginning of today, because another adorable little girl, probably 2 or 3, was passed to me and I held her and talked to her.  She squirmed down and led me into the area where our clinic was being held.  She didn’t say a word to me, but I loved every minute.  đź™‚

Steve Russell, one of the doctors with us, led us in a morning devotion on the bus.  This is something we do every morning on the way to our clinics.  He told us two stories.  I want to share them here, as well as another one that happened today.  He spoke about a woman who had had a heart attack probably a couple days ago.  She had no idea.  We weren’t able to see everyone on Wednesday, so two of our paramedics went out to the line and essentially decided who would still get in.  Leo found this woman.  She was still having chest pain and had water on her lungs.  We arranged for her to get to the hospital free of charge and will now get the care she needs.

The other story was one that almost had me in tears all the way to the orphanage.  It’s the story of a little boy named Juan.  I don’t know how old he is.  His parents split up, something not unheard of.  His siblings went with either their mom or dad.  Juan got left behind, yes, left behind, all on his own, with no one to look after him, no place to live, no one to hug him or feed him or clean his clothes.  The neighbour saw that he didn’t seem to have anyone and took him in.  We made sure Juan got the meds he needed, but also extra clothing, food, shoes, etc.  We also made sure the neighbour would have some support as well.  Despite his situation, he was smiling when Steve saw him.  It still makes me want to rush in there and just scoop him out of there.

This last story was something that happened at the very end of the day today.  We were cleaning up and one last patient came in.  (We didn’t have to turn anyone away today!!!)  It was a young mom, very young at 14, who lived at the orphanage with her daughter of 18 months.  This little girl, named Hazel, was so sick she was having seizures because of a fever.  The doctors put an IV in her with antibiotics immediately.  Tony (the doc in charge) and Ross (a paramedic) rode her and her mom to the hospital.  The police that play the role of our security, raced her there, sirens blaring and lights flashing.  We just found out tonight at dinner that she’s going to be okay.

I don’t know what would have happened to these three people if we hadn’t been in their communities on the days we were.  God knew we needed to be in those places as those exact times to be of help to those people.  It blows my mind sometimes when I think about how He is so involved in our lives, in every little thing.  He brought us here for some very specific purposes.  The community around Remar Orphanage isn’t as needy as some of the other ones we’ve been to in the past, but serving them was still worth it, even if we were only there for Hazel.  It reminds me that God has a purpose and a plan for my life, for our family.  He knows the deepest desires of my heart because He put them there.  He knows how they will be fulfilled.  And afterwards we will look back and see His hand through it all, as we are beginning to see it already.  What an amazing God we serve, I serve!  A God who loves us so perfectly and knows exactly what we need.  This God, this wonderful God.

I apologize.  I’m rambling now, but I can’t help but write about it all.  It’s been a bit of an emotional day for me.  I’ll quit now and share some photos.  I walked around a bit again, this time in the morning before the pharmacy really got hopping.

Chris, Olgui (the teacher of all our translators), Flor, and Susan filling prescriptions in the Pharmacy.

Dr. Bert examining and patient.  Bert is the Deputy Coroner of Ontario and he wanted to join us on this mission.

Joan showing a family how to use an aero chamber for puffers.

This sweetie was waiting for her mom to be finished with a medic.

Patients discussing things with a Christine, a medic.

Grandmas and grand-babies waiting in line.  They were asking for a photo and no wonder, these two are adorable!

Our two local team members registering new patients.

Marlene, and Dennis, handing out reading glasses.

Two of the children who attend the school we were at, which is attached to the orphanage.

A local dentist, Dr. Alba, working on a little boy.

Canadian team members, Mark Cross, and Odalmus.

The piles of clothing in distribution.
I know this has been a long post and I hope I haven’t bored you.  We have one more clinic day, in a squatters slum right in San Salvador, called Somalia.  The weather has held out for us, although today was incredibly hot.  It should be a little cooler tomorrow, especially since we’ll be setting up outside, under tarps.  
Now I’d better get to sleep because we give it our all tomorrow.  I may not have time for another post before we get home on Sunday night.
Please continue to keep us in your prayers.  We had one team member stay at the hotel today because she was so sick, a few others are feeling a little under the weather.  Gracias!  One more day…
Buenos Noches.

  1. Avatar

    The post was certainly not too long! I love hearing every story. God surely has you in each situation for a reason.
    Blessings to you all, for all you do!