El Salvador: Wrap Up

| 0

It’s Sunday morning and we’re relaxing at the hotel before we need to get on the bus one last time. Our work is done for the week. I’m sorry for not posting more. Hopefully I can help you understand a bit of what the rest if the week was like.

After our trip up the mountain a bit we went down to the ocean. It was a HOT day, but made more special by the fact that we were back at Remar Orphanage, for the fourth time. We worked steadily and were able to treat all the orphans as well as any one from the community. We didn’t need to turn anyone away, which is something I really love! We saw a little girl, Hazel, whom we treated a year and a half ago. At that time she was so sick we had to rush her to the hospital. If we hadn’t been there she would have died. She is a happy, healthy little sweetheart today! What a blessing to get to reconnect with her and her young mom. We even had time to hang around at the end of the day. The first photos at the end of my post are taken at Remar. I had a couple boys quite interested in my phone which I was using for photos. They ended up discovering the games I have for my kids. Soon, as you can imagine, I had a little crowd sitting on my lap, hanging on my shoulders, gathered around. They all took a turn with Cupcake Maker. So fun!

Thursday was our day off and we spent it at a private resort area. It was mostly just our group by the pool and on the beach. It was beautiful, relaxing, rejuvenating, and exactly what we needed after three days of hard work.

Friday we were back in the same region as on Monday, but this time we set up Ina municipal building. It actually turned out to be our most challenging space, a space with two entrances an people walking through. It was somewhat isolated from the rest if the team. It was a hard day for me. If you follow me on Facebook, you know that I was feeling run down and tired. I ended up sitting for the entire afternoon, just counting lots if Albendazole (parasite medicine) and adult vitamins. We get them in bigger bottles and in order to make them last, we count them into bags of 30. I’ve included a photo of our pharmacy area.

And then Saturday arrived. Our last day. At a site near and dear to our hearts, Somalia. The worst slum in the country. We’ve done a clinic here every time we come to El Salvador. We set up our farmacia in their little church. A tiny space with a cross painted on the tin wall. It was a great day. We were able to start early and saw 1004 patients in medical! The last few photos are from Somalia. This community has really banded together and tried to make things better. They are building a new church. (That’s the cross you see.) They amaze me with their resilience to do the best they can with what they have. It’s an honour to enter their place and serve them.

Thank you for your continued support and encouragement over the years. It means more to me than you know. As we get ready to head home, please pray for our continued safety.

I hope I won’t forget the feeling of gratefulness I have right now. I have been blessed beyond comprehension, just by being born in Canada. I am truly honoured to be able to serve. God is so good!

Now, I’d better pack! Blessings!